President Joe Biden declared Wednesday night in his first address to a joint session of Congress that “America is rising anew,” and pointed optimistically to the nation’s emergence from the pandemic as a vital moment to rebuild the U.S. economy and fundamentally transform government roles in American life.
“America is ready for takeoff. We are working again. Dreaming again. Discovering again. Leading the world again. We have shown each other and the world: There is no quit in America,” Biden said.
- WATCH: Biden addresses joint session of Congress
- Analysis: Biden pitches big government as antidote to crises
- Text of Biden’s first address to joint session of Congress
- Biden speech take-aways: Government is good, and so are jobs
- Harris, Pelosi make history seated behind Biden at speech
The Associated Press contributed to this report.