Caps gone wild: Follow team’s wild Saturday celebrations

WTOP’s Jason Fraley snagged a photo with Braden Holtby during the Caps’ epic weekend celebrations. (WTOP/Jason Fraley)

Braden Holtby and I. I'm fanboying way too hard. #ALLCAPS #CAPSYEAR

A post shared by Ryan (@trucksandbucks) on

WTOP's Jason Fraley snagged a photo with Philipp Grubauer at Cafe Milano. (WTOP/Jason Fraley)
WTOP’s Jason Fraley snagged a photo with Philipp Grubauer at Cafe Milano. (WTOP/Jason Fraley) (WTOP/Jason Fraley)
WTOP's Jason Fraley snagged a photo with Philipp Grubauer at Cafe Milano. (WTOP/Jason Fraley)

WASHINGTON — The Washington Capitals have been celebrating winning the Stanley Cup since the final game in Las Vegas, Nevada, and parties have continued in D.C. all weekend long.

The Washington Capitals took the Stanley Cup through the MGM Grand and to a dance club on the Las Vegas Strip. They took it to a popular bar not far from their suburban practice facility. Then they took it to Nationals Park, where they kept hoisting it from a suite to the roars of the crowd.

It’s their way of decompressing — without a whole lot of sleep.

“Not much,” defenseman John Carlson said. “A couple naps.”

Hoping to follow their wild Saturday? It all began at the Nationals game, where Ovechkin threw the first (and second) pitch.

After the game, some team members ventured to Nick’s Riverside Grill and Tony and Joe’s Seafood in Georgetown around 6 p.m., where Ovi did a keg stand from the Stanley Cup and the boys took a little swim in a nearby fountain.

Around 6:45 p.m., the team split. Some got back onto to the party bus to Adams Morgan to get tattoos at Tattoo Paradise.

Ovi and the cup were seen getting into a cab and were seen again just before 8 p.m. at Cafe Milano in Georgetown.

Just after 10 p.m., Ovi and Kuznetsov leave Cafe Milano, but minutes later, Holtby, Oshie and Vrana arrived.

Many of the team members were still at Cafe Milano after midnight, but Holtby was seen at Gypsy Sally’s just a few blocks away just before midnight.


Just after 12:30 a.m., T.J. Oshie said goodnight to the cup.


And some players arrived at St. Yves nightclub in DuPont Circle.

So where did the cup go? Back to Ovechkin’s, where he shared a moment with his family.

Meanwhile, the other boys found their way to St. Yves … or, at least, some of them did.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up