34th Street NW between Massachusetts Avenue NW and Garfield Street NW
Fulton Street NW between 34th Place NW and Normanstone Drive NW
Massachusetts Avenue NW between Observatory Circle South and 34th Place NW will be closed to all northbound traffic. Southbound traffic will be permitted between 34th Street NW and Waterside Drive NW. All northbound truck traffic will be diverted onto Q Street NW at Sheridan Circle NW. All other northbound traffic will be diverted onto Rock Creek Parkway at Waterside Drive NW. All southbound truck traffic will be diverted east on Garfield Street NW or continue south on Wisconsin Avenue. Massachusetts Avenue NW will be closed to all traffic intermittently.
Pennsylvania Avenue NW between 3rd and 1st Streets SW
Thursday, Sept. 24 (12 a.m. — 12 p.m.)
• Constitution Avenue between 3rd and 2nd Streets NW
• Independence Avenue between 3rd and 2nd Streets SE
• 3rd Street NW/SW between D Street NW and C Street NW
• D Street NE/NW between 2nd Street NE and New Jersey Avenue NW
• First Street NE/SE between Massachusetts Avenue NE and D Street SE
• Delaware Avenue NE between Columbus Circle NE and Constitution Avenue NE
• North Capitol Street NE/NW between E Street and Louisiana Avenue NW
• New Jersey Avenue NW between D Street NW and Constitution Avenue NW
• South Capitol Street SE/SW between E Street SE/SW and Independence Avenue SW
• C Street SE between 2nd and 3rd Streets SW
• Second Street SW between Independence Avenue SW and E Street SW
• First Street NE/SE between D Street SE and Independence Avenue SE
Thursday, Sept. 24 (12 a.m. — 4 p.m.)
• East Capitol Street NE/SE between 2nd and 1st Streets SE/SW
• Louisiana Avenue NE/NW between New Jersey and Constitution Avenues NW
• Washington Avenue SW between South Capitol Street SE/SW and Independence Avenue SW
Residents can compare the impact to a presidential inauguration, said James Murray, the Special Agent in Charge of the United States Secret Service’s Washington Field Office. D.C.
Mayor Muriel Bowser said the city is ready.
Possible Arlington County closures
Arlington County police announced that some roads near the Pentagon City and Rosslyn Metro stations along with the Potomac River bridges could also be closed to accommodate heavy pedestrian traffic exiting the District.
Police warn drivers that the following roads could be closed to traffic anytime between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday:
N. 19th Street at N. Lynn Street
N. 19th Street at Ft. Myer Drive
N. Moore Street at Lee Hwy
Wilson Boulevard at Ft. Myer Drive
Wilson Boulevard at N. Lynn Street
Ft. Myer Drive at N. 17th Street and Fairfax Drive
Army Navy Drive at S. Eads Street
Army Navy Drive at S. Joyce Street
1200 S. Hayes Street at the mall entrance
S. 15th Street at S. Hayes Street
S. 12th Street at S. Fern Street
Teddy Roosevelt Bridge
I-66 East at Teddy Roosevelt Bridge – all traffic will be diverted onto Route 110 South
Route 50 East at exit to Teddy Roosevelt Bridge – all traffic will be diverted on to the George Washington Parkway South
The closures will depend on the volume of pedestrians walking from D.C. to Arlington after the papal parade and the pope’s address to Congress.
WTOP’s Sarah Beth Hensley, Andrew Mollenbeck and The Associated Press contributed to this report.