WASHINGTON — Saturday is the Capital Pride Parade, one of the biggest events for Pride Month in the D.C. area.
The parade doesn’t start until 4:30 p.m. around DuPont Circle, but a lot of people will be heading to the area before the parade officially kicks off.
In addition to street closures and parking restrictions, there is the chance of afternoon thunderstorms rolling into the area. Here’s what you need to know.
Saturday’s Pride Parade will cause a slew of road closures in the Dupont Circle and Logan Circle areas in afternoon and evening.
Under D.C. police parking policies, those closures also mean significant restrictions on parking in the area.
Roads will also be closed on Saturday morning around the National Mall for the Purple Stride 5K until 2 p.m.
On Metro, the Orange Line’s Vienna and Dunn Loring stations are closed Saturday and Sunday. Shuttle buses will be running, but riders driving to the stations will likely be better off parking at other Orange or Silver Line stops.
No other track work is scheduled during daytime hours due to the significant crowds expected for Capital Pride.
Street closures and parking
Traffic will be severely impacted during and before the parade. That includes multiple street closures and emergency no parking zones on June 9.
Emergency no parking
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — 23rd, N — Q
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — 22nd, N — Q
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Q, 22nd — 23rd
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — O, 21st — 23rd
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Newport, 21st — 22nd
- Saturday, June 9 — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — N, 21st — 24th
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. — P, 21st — 20th
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.- DuPont Circle, P north to New Hampshire Ave
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.- New Hampshire, DuPont Circle to R Street
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.- R Street, New Hampshire to 17th
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.- 17th Street, R south to P
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.- P Street, 17th east to 14th
- Saturday, June 9 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. — 14th Street, P north to T Street
Parade staging closures starting at 12 p.m. June 9
- 22nd Street between N Street and Massachusetts Ave NW
- 23rd Street between N Street and Q Street NW
- Q Street between 24th Street and 22nd Street NW
- O Street between 21st Street and 22nd Street NW
- Newport Place between 21st Street and 23rd Street NW
- N Street between 21st Street and 22nd Street NW
Parade route closures starting at 4 p.m.
- P Street from 23rd Street NW to DuPont Circle
- DuPont Circle
- New Hampshire Avenue from DuPont Circle to R Street NW
- R Street from New Hampshire Ave to 17th St NW
- 17th Street from R St NW to P Street NW
- P Street from 17th to 14th Street NW
- 14th Street from P Street NW to T Street NW
For the most updated traffic report, visit WTOP’s traffic center. You can see a map of the latest traffic conditions below.
Storm Team 4 meteorologists said the chance for rain is high on both Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday morning started out mild and muggy and storms are expected to develop after 2 p.m. Some of those storms could include gusty winds and heavy rain.
Check out the full weather forecast at WTOP’s weather center.
© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.