WASHINGTON — A planned school bus driver sick-out in Charles County is causing bus changes, but no major disruptions in service so far Tuesday afternoon.
Nine of the Charles County Public Schools buses are being replaced by different buses, according to the school system’s website.
Charles County Schools Superintendent Kimberly Hill said Monday that some bus drivers might not be available to take kids home Tuesday afternoon, but the district would have other contracted buses standing by to bring kids home from school.
It is not yet clear how many bus drivers were planning to call out sick.
Charles County Public Schools spokeswoman Katie O’Malley-Simpson tells WTOP there have been some labor disputes.
“We have had drivers come to our public forum at our Board of Education meetings. They talked about issues such as raises and benefits,” she says.
The school district told WTOP that it would have other contracted buses standing by to bring kids
It looks like some of the buses involved impact the La Plata area, including some buses that travel to La Plata High School.
According to the district’s website — many of the buses should still arrive home on time.
Get the latest bus updates on the Charles County Public School website. (Editor’s note: The site has crashed several times Tuesday afternoon.)
The school system sent an email with the bus information after the site went down (as of 2:31 p.m.):
The Charles County Public Schools website is currently down. Here is the latest information about bus changes. All routes are covered by substitute drivers.
• Bus 120 replaced by Bus 907 for La Plata High School and Walter J. Mitchell Elementary School routes
• Bus 15 replaced by Bus 906 for La Plata High School and Dr. James Craik Elementary School routes
• Bus 5 replaced by Bus 58 for Maurice M. McDonough High School route; Bus 1 for the North Point High School and Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Elementary School routes
• Bus 57 replaced by Bus 21 for St. Charles High School, Benjamin Stoddert Middle School and Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School routes
• Bus 21 replaced by Bus 100 for La Plata High School, Mary H. Matula Elementary School and Mary B. Neal Elementary School routes
• Bus 33 replaced by Buses 36 and 97 for La Plata High School route; and Bus 55 for Walter J. Mitchell Elementary School route
• Bus 25 replaced by Bus 23 for St. Charles High School route; Bus 88 for Mattawoman Middle School route; and Bus 96 for William A. Diggs Elementary School route
• Bus 6 replaced by Bus 43 for Henry E. Lackey High School route; Bus 2 for Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School route
• Bus 24 replaced by Bus 1 for Westlake High School route; Bus 4 for Theodore G. Davis Middle School route; Bus 96 for Diggs route
• Bus 87 replaced by Bus 3 for La Plata High School route; Bus 44 for T.C. Martin Elementary School
• Bus 205 replaced by Bus 68 for St. Charles High School route
Current as of 2:31 p.m.
• Bus 17 at Henry E. Lackey High School is running 15 minutes late – may affect routes for General Smallwood Middle School and Gale-Bailey Elementary School (as of 2:33 p.m.)
We will send out updates via email as long as the website is down.
© 2015 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.