Waldorf hotel evacuated after children get sick in hot tub

WASHINGTON — An issue caused by a chlorine pump forced fire and rescue crews to send 75 hotel patrons across the street to the library in Waldorf. Two children were reported sick.

Charles County fire spokesman Bill Smith said a chlorine pump malfunctioned at the Hilton Garden Inn’s hot tub, causing high chlorine levels and discomfort on the building’s first floor.

Crews spent more than three hours clearing the hotel’s air. The two children had irritated eyes and were treated at the scene.

The firefighters arrived at the hotel shortly after 9 a.m. Saturday, according to staff at the Waldorf West Branch Library.

WTOP’s Dennis Foley contributed to this report.

June 14, 2024 | (Marcus Moore)
Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up