VIDEO: Mother, daughter rescued from Suitland house fire

WASHINGTON — A mother and daughter were rescued Monday morning after a discarded cigarette accidentally caused a fire to erupt in their Suitland, Maryland, home.

Prince George’s County Fire and EMS said they were alerted around 9:30 a.m. to the 3900 block of Coach Lane by phone calls from neighbors.

Capt. Russell Poe could hear screams for help coming from an area of the house and followed the calls, leading him to the woman and her 3-year-old daughter.

The victims had been exposed to smoke and heat and were experiencing symptoms of smoke inhalation and respiratory distress, officials said.

Poe provided his air mask to the young child as they awaited more firefighters to assist. Poe and firefighter Matthew Tippett removed the pair from the stairs and out of the house.

Medics were on scene and quickly provided treatment. The victims were in good condition and are expected to make a full recovery, Prince George’s County Fire and EMS said.

The fire was started accidentally on the first floor by a discarded cigarette. The estimated worth of loss is at $45,000, according to the Prince George’s County Fire Department.

Officials said the smoke alarm wasn’t working due to its old age. The fire alarm was over 20 years old. Prince George’s County Fire Department urge all residents to change their alarms after 10 years.

Below is a map of the location where the fire occurred.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Federal News Network Logo

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up