Prince George’s Co. firefighters detect high CO levels during lunch break

WASHINGTON — Two firefighters who had stopped to get lunch at a Subway in Lanham, Maryland, during their noon break found more than sandwiches Friday. Their portable carbon monoxide detectors alerted them to high levels of the poisonous, odorless gas in the eatery, a fire official said in a statement.

Quickly, the two firefighters called it in and additional teams arrived. The shopping plaza where the Subway was located, in the 9900 block of Greenbelt Road, was evacuated for a few hours. No injuries were reported.

With dangerous concentrations of carbon monoxide, firefighters had to suit up in gear to handle hazardous materials. They found the source of the gas leak from a broken exhaust vent of a boiler/HVAC unit that was funneling carbon monoxide into the stores rather than into the open air, Battalion Chief Mike Linynsky said.

Firefighters shut down the system and brought CO levels down. Washington Gas came to turn off natural gas to the building so the unit could be fixed.

Teta Alim

Teta Alim is a Digital Editor at WTOP. Teta's interest in journalism started in music and moved to digital media.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up