202

Several businesses in Damascus evacuated after carbon monoxide detected

The source of the carbon monoxide is suspected to be a propane "floor scrubber" that was used inside earlier in the day. (Courtesy of Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service/@mcfrsPIO)

WASHINGTON — A carbon monoxide buildup inside a shopping area of Damascus, Maryland, prompted emergency crews to evacuate several businesses and evaluate 10 people on the scene Thursday night.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue crews were called to the 9800 block of Main Street around 5:30 p.m. after a report that several people were feeling ill. Fire officials immediately detected high levels of carbon monoxide, said Pete Piringer with the county Fire and Rescue Service.

A few businesses were evacuated, including a Dollar Tree and a Hair Cuttery. Ten people have been evaluated; eight are OK and refused transport, and two are still being treated on the scene.

The source of the carbon monoxide is suspected to be a propane “floor scrubber” that was used inside earlier in the day, Piringer said. The carbon monoxide likely then got into the ventilation system that was shared by several of the buildings and spread through a number of the businesses, he added.

Emergency crews are ventilating the affected areas.

A few businesses were evacuated, including a Dollar Store and a Hair Cuttery, in Damascus, Maryland, on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018. (Courtesy of Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service/@mcfrsPIO)


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.



Advertiser Content