Toddler hospitalized for serious burns after Montgomery Co. fire

WASHINGTON — A 4-year-old boy was badly burned in fire in Montgomery County on Sunday afternoon.

The fire was reported at around 2:30 p.m. on Barnesville Road in Boyds, south of Peach Tree Road. Arriving units reported seeing smoke coming from the living quarters on top of a storage building that housed hay bales.

Several others were evaluated for injuries; the toddler’s injuries were initially described as “life-threatening.”

“That child has been transported to Children’s Hospital  as a priority 1 patient — priority 1 is, of course, most serious,” Montgomery County Fire & Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said.

Piringer said later Sunday that the child’s condition had since improved, that his injuries were no longer considered life-threatening.

Sixty-five firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, though water tankers had to be rushed to the scene because the area is not serviced by fire hydrants, according to Piringer.

He said the fire originated in the storage building. Fireworks were the likely cause of the blaze, Piringer said.

WTOP’s Dick Uliano contributed to this report.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up