WASHINGTON — The family of a man who died after being run over by a Metrobus that he had just exited is suing Metro for at least $25 million.
The lawsuit filed last week by Reginald Burrell’s daughter accuses the bus driver of negligence for failing to check his mirrors before driving off and dragging Burrell under the bus.
Burrell had just stepped off the bus on Bladensburg Road near South Dakota Avenue in Northeast around 6:15 a.m. on Sept. 3, 2015, because he was not feeling well.
He leaned against the bus to steady himself, and the bus pulled off. The lawsuit charges that the driver did not even realize he had run over the 64-year-old’s leg, so the bus kept on going.
The lawsuit filed in federal court, which includes two counts asking for at least $25 million each, says the incident was caught on the bus camera systems.
Burrell died at Washington Hospital Center five days later.
Metro typically does not comment on pending lawsuits, and did not provide WTOP with any information about whether the driver faced discipline in this case. At the time of the incident, Metro said the driver was placed on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.