Metrorail is going to open two hours early on Sunday, at 5 a.m., for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run so folks can get to the race. There will also be some road closures along the racecourse. Here’s what you need to know.
- The closest Metrorail station to the start of the race is Smithsonian Station, one block away from the Washington Monument grounds on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines.
- To avoid crowding at Smithsonian Station, customers may want to consider Federal Triangle, two blocks from the Washington Monument grounds on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines.
- Customers traveling to or from the Red Line should transfer at Metro Center to access the Blue, Orange and Silver lines.
- Customers traveling to or from the Green and Yellow lines should transfer at L’Enfant Plaza to access the Blue, Orange and Silver lines.
- Fares are just $2 for a one-way trip no matter where you travel on Metrorail under new fare and service changes that took effect this month. Parking is also free on weekends.
Metro cautions that riders should remember that the Shady Grove and Rockville stations are closed for construction. There are free shuttle buses but be prepared for extra travel time. Twinbrook, White Flint and Grosvenor stations are alternative options.
Before heading to the race, Metro encourages riders to purchase fare ahead of time by downloading the SmarTrip app on Apple or Android.
U.S. Park Police advised of road closures within areas of the National Mall and Memorial Parks during the race from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. Vehicles parked in the secured area after 6 a.m. won’t be allowed to leave until 11 a.m.
- 15th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- Madison Drive NW from 14th Street SW to 15th Street SW
- Jefferson Drive SW from 15th Street SW to 14th Street SW
- Independence Avenue SW from 14th Street SW to 23rd Street SW, including merge with Rock Creek Parkway
- Ohio Drive SW from 23rd Street SW to Inlet Bridge
- Rock Creek Parkway south of Virginia Avenue NW to Lincoln Memorial Circle, including all approaches and ramps
- Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Arlington Memorial Bridge and Arlington Memorial Circle, to and including Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Daniel Chester French Drive SW from Independence Avenue SW to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- 23rd Street SW from Independence Avenue SW to Lincoln Memorial Circle and Constitution Avenue to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- 17th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- Homefront Drive SW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place SW to Maine Avenue SW
- East basin Drive SW east of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial to Ohio Drive SW
- West Basin Drive SW from Ohio Drive SW to Independence Avenue SW
- Ramp from southbound and northbound George Washington Parkway to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Ramp from northbound Virginia Route 110 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Ramp from Virginia Route 27 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Access to East Potomac Park from Interstate 395 will be by National Park Service permit
- Henry Bacon Drive NW from Constitution Avenue to Lincoln Memorial Circle NW
- 15th Street NW between Constitution Avenue and Independence Avenue including Madison and Jefferson Drives closes at 1 a.m.