Bite killed man found dead in Md. house full of snakes

Nearly three months after a man in Charles County, Maryland, was found dead in a house with over a hundred snakes — some of which were venomous — authorities have confirmed that he died of a snake bite.

A spokesman for the state medical examiner’s officer tells WTOP the death was accidental and the official cause of death was “snake envenomation.”

The still-unidentified victim was found Jan. 19 inside his home in the 5500 block of Raphael Drive in Pomfret. Authorities were called there for a wellness check after a neighbor could see him on the floor through a window.



When officers got into the house, they found 124 snakes, including venomous rattlesnakes, cobras and black mambas.

It is illegal to own venomous snakes in Maryland.

A county spokeswoman told NBC Washington that fortunately, all the snakes had been “very properly secured” and appeared to have been well cared for.

It took hours to get them all out of the house, and they have since been taken to handlers in Virginia and North Carolina.

The snakes were not considered to be a risk to the public: If one of the coldblooded beasts were to get loose, it would probably not survive the winter chill.

Jack Pointer

Jack contributes to WTOP.com when he's not working as the afternoon/evening radio writer. In a previous life, he helped edit The Dallas Morning News and Chicago Tribune.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up