Avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning after the storm

WASHINGTON — The snow removal priority for many homeowners will be their front steps, cars and driveways.

However, officials say the bigger priority should be clearing utility vents and air intakes.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said they have been seeing an increase in carbon monoxide alarm alerts with the buildup of snow.  High snow drifts are blocking these vents and creating an buildup of carbon monoxide inside homes.

Residents should make sure a three-foot radius around the vents are clear to prevent a blockage.

Washington Gas is encouraging customers to clear any accumulated snow from their natural gas meters, regulator vents and appliance exhausts by using hands, brush or broom.  They ask you not use a shovel or any other hard object to clear snow from your gas meter, regulator vents or appliance exhausts.

If your carbon monoxide alarm does go off, Montgomery County Fire says you need to leave your house immediately and call 911.

 

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up