RICHMOND, Va. — The Redskins will head to Atlanta on Wednesday in preparation for their first real game action of the summer. Preseason game No. 1 is on Thursday and the first chance to put into practice what the team has been working on in Richmond. Head coach Jay Gruden says he has a “pretty set plan” as far as how long the starters will play but will make the final playing time decisions on Thursday.
“We’re going to get everybody some reps in the game that are traveling and making the trip,” he said. “Once the game gets started…I’ll put them through pregame warmup and once the game gets started, then I’ll make my determination on who to take out and when to take them out. That’ll be solely my decision, and we’ll go from there.”
Gruden expects all three quarterbacks to play on Thursday. Kirk Cousins will start and most likely see limited action. Colt McCoy will relieve him, followed by rookie Nate Sudfeld.
McCoy enters his third season with the Redskins and started the regular season finale last year, a 34-23 win at Dallas in which he threw a touchdown pass. This year his role is set, where in previous seasons there were question marks regarding the quarterback position.
“My mindset hasn’t changed at all,” McCoy said. “I’m coming in here as an older guy. Really my mentality is to get better every day and learn something every day. I take a lot of notes and take a lot mental reps. At any given point this team could depend on me, and I don’t take that responsibility lightly.”
Sudfeld, a sixth round pick out of Indiana, will be seeing his first action as a professional.
“I’m excited,” Sudfeld said. “I’m absolutely ready…Get back on the field and compete a little bit. I’m just trying to go out and some fun and compete to the best of my ability.”
How long will he play?
“They told me to be ready because they plan on playing me,” he said. “I don’t know if that’s going to be a half, a quarter or a drive.”
Injury news for Thursday:
– Tight end Jordan Reed has been ruled out. He has a sprained left thumb and Gruden wants to get him some more rehab.
– Wide receiver Jamison Crowder will not play either due to a hamstring injury.
– Wide receiver Josh Doctson has not practiced all camp — he won’t play.
– Trent Williams has not been ruled out yet, Gruden said. He said he will make the trip then they will decide on Thursday what his status will be.
– Linebacker Preston Smith has a strained shoulder but Gruden thinks “there’s a good chance” he will play on Thursday.