The Washington Capitals take a two-game lead to Raleigh, looking for their third win against the Carolina Hurricanes in Monday night’s playoff. The game will be shown on NBC Sports Washington at 7 p.m., and can be streamed on the MyTeams app.
Game 2 provided more of the same from the Capitals and Canes. The Hurricanes battled back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits to take the game to overtime. Brooks Orpik scored the overtime winner to pull the Caps ahead 2-0 in the series.
Orpik now has two overtime winners in the playoffs and two game-winning goals in the playoffs with the Capitals dating back to Game 2 last season against the Vegas Golden Knights.
He is also the oldest defenseman to score in NHL history in the playoffs.
Brooks Orpik (38 years, 199 days) is the oldest defenseman in NHL history to score an overtime goal in the #StanleyCup Playoffs.
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) April 14, 2019
Other stats to know
- Tom Wilson recorded his first goal of the 2019 postseason
- Kuznetsov has three assists so far these playoffs, including two in Game 2.
What to watch for
- The Great 8: Alex Ovechkin has done it all through these first two games, from striking on the power play in Game 1 to adding two highlight-reel helpers in Game 2. He’s also been outstanding on the back check. Look for him to be a threat and keep playing a 200-foot game.
- Backstrom stays hot: The Swedish center extended his goal-streak to two games and has four points so far this postseason. He’ll be hard to stop as he’s been red-hot ever since the regular season started winding down.
- Opponents to watch: Sebastian Aho recorded his first playoff goal and point of his career Saturday, finally managing to find twine this series. He led the Hurricanes with 30 goals and 83 points in the regular season and seems to be finding his game heading into Game 3.
- The Hurricanes will be looking for their first win in the playoffs since the 2009 season when they were swept in the Eastern Conference Final by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Here’s how to tune into Caps’ Game 3 against Carolina at the PNC Arena:
- TV Channel: NBC Sports Washington (Channel Finder)
- How To Watch: Stream Game 3 of Capitals vs. Hurricanes on the NBC Sports app.
- Radio: Capitals Radio Network (106.7 The Fan FM)
Capitals vs. Hurricanes Game 3 TV Schedule
NBC Sports Washington Daily TV Listing
6 p.m.: Caps Faceoff Live
6:30 p.m.: Caps Pregame Live
7 p.m.: Capitals at Hurricanes
9:30 p.m.: Caps Postgame Live
10 p.m.: Caps Overtime Live
Quote of the day
“We get to this time of the year, I’m probably not counted on for too many goals,” Brooks Orpik told NBC Sports Washington after recording the OT winner in Game 2 Saturday. “But I think if you want to have the long runs, you need everybody kind of chipping in and doing things they don’t normally do.”