2 injured by electric shock at MGM National Harbor; company calls it ‘horrible accident’

WASHINGTON — A 6-year-old girl and a man are in the hospital from injuries they suffered from an electrical shock at MGM National Harbor Tuesday night.

The incident happened at the outdoor fountain area on the west side of the building just before midnight, said Prince George’s County Fire and EMS.

As the girl was shocked, an adult male employee of the casino stepped in to help and was shocked as well.

Prince George’s County Fire and EMS said the girl went into cardiac arrest on the scene. She regained a pulse while en route to the hospital but is still unconscious.

The girl remains in critical condition and the man is expected to be OK.

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, an MGM spokesman said the area around the fountain had been closed to the public while investigators and the company’s engineers conduct a “comprehensive assessment of the situation.

MGM is “fully cooperating” with the Prince George’s County Fire and EMS Department, the spokesman said.

The statement provided to WTOP said the company was heartbroken over what it called a “horrible accident.”


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up