Fatal fire strikes home in Pr. George’s Co.

WASHINGTON — One person has died and three injured in an early morning fire Sunday in Landover, Maryland, officials said.

Prince George’s County Fire Department officials said reports of a house fire in the 1500 block of Ballinger Avenue came in around 3:30 a.m.

Following a string of recent fire incidents, officials said fire activity typically picks up this time of year, as people start using furnaces and space heaters.

The Prince George’s County Fire Department offers heating safety tips when using space heaters, and other recommendations for fire prevention on their blogspot.

Space Heaters

  • Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally-recognized laboratory.
  • Always unplug your electric space heater when not in use.
  • Never use an extension cord with space heaters. Plug them directly into the wall socket.
  • Space heaters need space — keep flammable objects at least three feet away.

General Heating Tips

  • Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces and chimneys.
  • Have heating devices such as furnaces and fireplaces checked each year by a professional.
  • Dispose of fireplace ash in a metal container and store outdoors away from structures on a concrete surface. Fireplace ashcan ignite a fire days after disposal.
  • Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.

For the full list of tips, read the Prince George’s County Fire Department’s post here.

Friday night an elderly man was found dead in a house fire in Oxon Hill. Officials say fire activities typically picks up this time of the year as people start using furnaces and space heaters.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2019 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up