WASHINGTON — Everyone’s kitchen shelves seem to contain at least one box of cereal and the grocery aisle is full of choices. But some of the most popular cereal brands fail to make the list of the healthiest.
Honey Nut Cheerios is the nation’s most popular cereal brand, followed by Frosted Flakes, Honey Bunches of Oats, Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, according to bakeryandsnacks.com.
Frosted Flakes has the dubious distinction of making another list — the list of the most unhealthy cereals — and none of the nation’s most popular brands has landed on the healthiest list.
Ranking more than 300 different cereal brands, DietDetective.com says Nature’s Path Organic Millet Puffs is the nation’s healthiest. Others making the healthy list include Barbara’s Shredded Wheat, Kashi Whole Wheat Biscuits Autumn Wheat, Quaker Oats Old Fashioned and Nature’s Path Oatmeal Gluten Free Selections Homestyle.
DietDetective.com rates cereals based on calories, sugar and sodium content.
Cereals landing on the list of the “unhealthiest” include Monsters Boo Berry, Rice Krispies Treats, Fruity Pebbles, Summer Berry Pebbles and Chocolate Lucky Charms. Frosted Flakes is eighth on the list of unhealthiest.
The list of “healthiest” cereals include:
- Nature’s Path Organic Millet Puffs
- Barbara’s Shredded Wheat
- Kashi Whole Wheat Biscuits
- Autumn Wheat
- Quaker Oats Old Fashioned
- Nature’s Path Oatmeal Gluten Free Selections Homestyle
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Cereals Puffs
- Post Shredded Wheat Original Spoon Size
- Nature’s Path Qi’a Superfood Chia, Buckwheat & Hemp Original Flavor
- Post Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Wheat’n Bran
- Nature’s Path Original Hot Oatmeal
The lowest-ranked cereals for health include:
- General Mills Monsters Boo Berry
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats
- Post Fruity Pebbles
- Post Summer Berry Pebbles
- General Mills Chocolate Lucky Charms
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Cocoa Krispies
- General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch Frosted Toast Crunch
- Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes
- Quaker Honey Graham Oh’s
- Kellogg’s Granola Low-fat Granola Multigrain with Raisins
Read the full report about the cereals below: