WASHINGTON – Defining “hipster” is much like the Supreme Court defining pornography: You know it when you see it.
However, Forbes and Nextdoor.com have attempted not only to define the term, but to rank the top hipster neighborhoods in the country.
And don’t worry, one D.C. neighborhood made the list: the H Street corridor.
In choosing the most hipster neighborhoods across the nation, Forbes and Nextdoor.com looked at several factors:
- An area’s walkability, according to Walkscore.com
- Neighborhood coffee shops per capita
- Assortment of local food trucks, and their rankings according to Zagat
- Number and frequency of farmers markets
- Number of locally owned bars and restaurants
- Percentage of residents who work in artistic occupations
So if you identify with the hipster lifestyle (don’t ask us what that means), here are the “Top 10 Hipster Neighborhoods”:
- Silver Lake, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Mission district, San Francisco, Calif.
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Wicker Park, Chicago, Ill.
- Pearl District, Portland, Ore.
- H Street corridor, Washington, D.C.
- East Austin, Austin, Texas
- Capitol Hill, Seattle, Wash.
- The Uptown, Oakland, Calif.
- Warehouse District, New Orleans, La.
You can see the full list of America’s best hipster neighborhoods, by following this link.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)