Charging scooter sparks Bethesda apartment fire

Three people were displaced in Bethesda, Maryland, after a scooter overheated during charging and started a fire in an apartment, according to authorities.

Pete Piringer, spokesman for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Services, said that the fire broke out at a three-story apartment complex in the 5000 block of Bradley Boulevard around 4:45 a.m.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find smoke coming from a third-floor apartment. Piringer said the blaze was extinguished by around 5:10 a.m.

Piringer said the fire was caused by a lithium ion battery inside of the charging scooter overheating. The cost of the damage to the building is estimated to be around $150,000.

One resident suffered minor burns from the incident.



Last week, in Damascus, an electric car caught fire during charging. Four people were displaced from their home, and one person had to be rescued from the residence. That fire resulted in an estimated $350,000 in damages.

Matthew Delaney

Matt Delaney is a digital web writer/editor who joined WTOP in 2020.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up