Damascus fire near electric car that was charging causes $350K in damage

A fire in Damascus, Maryland, Thursday afternoon that started with an electric car charging in a garage displaced four people, a few pets and caused $350,000 in damages.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said the fire at a home in the 2700 block of Barnes Road started in the garage near the front end of a Chevy Volt that was charging.

One person had to be rescued, Piringer said.

No injuries were reported.

Will Vitka

William Vitka is a Digital Editor and reporter for WTOP.com. He's been in the news industry for over a decade. Before joining WTOP, he worked for CBS News, Stuff Magazine, The New York Post and wrote a variety of books—about a dozen of them, with more to come.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up