Early indications are that the fire started while the homeowner was burning some brush in the backyard of his home in Silver Spring. Police believe it got out of control and the man died from burns sustained during the fire.
WASHINGTON — A fire that broke out in the backyard of a home in Silver Spring, Maryland, ended in tragedy, with a man dying from burns sustained during the fire.
It happened around 8 p.m. Thursday at a home on Briggs Chaney Road near Lear Lane Avenue, Burtonsville.
“We do believe he is an elderly resident of the home,” said Capt. David Falcinelli with Montgomery County police about the victim.
Falcinelli said homicide detectives from Montgomery County police were on scene to investigate.
“Anytime there’s an unattended death in the county we’re definitely going to bring in the homicide detectives,” he said.
The early indications are that the fire started while the homeowner was burning some brush in the backyard.
Somehow things got out of control and he ended up sustaining burns as well.
At this point there’s no foul play suspected in this incident.
Police have not yet released the victim’s name.
Pete Piringer, chief spokesman for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service tweeted about the incident.
Update — Briggs Chaney Road, outside fire R/O house is extinguished, adult male was burned & appears to have succumbed to injuries, MCP are conducting a death investigation, MCFRS Fire Investigators are OS https://t.co/VWP8SMlBw6