202

Official: Smoking cause of Silver Spring apartment building fire

Several families are spending the night out of their homes and one person was transported due to a fire at a Silver Spring apartment building.

WASHINGTON — Several families are spending the night out of their homes, and one person was hurt due to a fire in a Silver Spring apartment building.

Smoking was the cause of the fire, a spokesman for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said.

The four-story building on the 100 block of Schuyler Road caught fire Tuesday night. Eighty-five firefighters doused the building; there was heavy fire on the first floor when they arrived.

Firefighters helped trapped residents and one person was transported. The estimated damage is $100,000.

The fire closed Sligo Creek Parkway between Colesville Road and East Wayne Avenue.

Below is the area where the fire happened.


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.