Water heater caused carbon monoxide release in Wheaton

WASHINGTON — A malfunctioning water heater is to blame for high levels of carbon monoxide Tuesday at PemBridge Square apartments in Wheaton, Maryland.

A carbon monoxide detector alerted a resident to the problem at the apartment building at 2318 Blueridge Ave. around 2:30 a.m.

The building was evacuated.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said the carbon monoxide was detected in two apartments.

Fire crews traced the problem to a malfunctioning water heater on the second floor.

Paramedics evaluated 10 people on the scene, including several children.

Residents were allowed back in around 4:30 a.m.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up