University of Maryland unveils spring semester plans

Students at the University of Maryland in College Park will continue hybrid teaching and learning into the spring semester.

About 25% of courses will be held in person and the remaining 75% will be online, university President Darryll J. Pines said in a letter to the school community.

“As we did in the fall, the first two weeks of undergraduate instruction, with few exceptions, will be conducted entirely online. This allows us to conduct testing and initially limit movement amidst our de-densified campus,” Pines said.

Before students return to campus, they will also need to test negative for the coronavirus. And all students, faculty and staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test every two weeks.

The spring semester is scheduled to begin on Jan. 25.

As for spring break — scheduled from March 14 to 21 — students will be allowed to recess, but the two weeks of classes immediately after spring break will be online.

“This will allow the University to conduct large-scale campuswide testing prior to the resumption of in-person classes,” Pines said.

Students, faculty and staff coming to campus following spring break, starting on March 22, will need to participate in a nine-day campuswide testing event.

The spring semester is scheduled to end on May 11.

More Coronavirus news

Looking for more information? D.C., Maryland and Virginia are each releasing more data every day. Visit their official sites here: Virginia | Maryland | D.C.

Abigail Constantino

Abigail Constantino started her journalism career writing for a local newspaper in Fairfax County, Virginia. She is a graduate of American University and The George Washington University.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up