WASHINGTON — New Year’s Day falls on a Monday, so government-run locations and transportation systems may not be open, or may be working on a different schedule.
See the list below to save some time this New Year’s Day.
Travel and transit
- D.C. Department of Public Works will not enforce meter and residential parking limits.
- Metrobus and Metrorail follow a Sunday schedule.
- No VRE service.
- The Bus, in Prince George’s County, is not running.
- Loudoun County Transit is not running.
- ART buses 41, 45, 51, 55 and 87 will run on Sunday schedules. All other lines will not run.
- D.C., Maryland, and Virginia departments of motor vehicles will be closed.
- D.C.: Trash pickup scheduled for Monday will happen on Tuesday. In Monday/Thursday collection areas, Monday will slide to Tuesday and Thursday slides to Friday; while in Tuesday/Friday areas Tuesday slides to Wednesday and Friday slides to Saturday.
- Virginia: Arlington and Fairfax County trash collections are on a regular schedule. In Fairfax City and Alexandria, pickups are put off one day.
- Maryland: To find out when your trash will be picked up in Montgomery County, click here for a chart. There are no changes to Prince George’s County’s trash pickup. In Anne Arundel County, Monday collection with occur on Tuesday and Tuesday collections will occur on Wednesday. In Howard County, trash pickup will occur one day later than normally scheduled.
- Post offices are closed.
- Area schools are closed.
- Libraries are closed.
- Smithsonian museums are open.
- Most banks are closed. Contact your bank to find out.
WTOP’s Liz Anderson contributed to this report.
© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.