WASHINGTON — Since New Year’s Day fell on Sunday, the federal holiday is observed the next day. Here are some travel changes and closings for Monday.
Travel and transit
- Virginia Department of Transportation is lifting HOV restrictions along interstates 66 and 395.
- Interstate 95 express lanes are open to southbound traffic until noon.
- HOV restrictions still apply on Route 50 and Interstate 270 in Maryland.
- D.C. Department of Public Works will not enforce meter and residential parking limits.
- No rush-hour lane restrictions.
- Streetcar parking limits will apply on the H Street and Benning Road corridor. “Blocked” streetcar parking enforcement is in effect every day between 3rd Street and Oklahoma Avenue Northeast.
- Metrobus and Metrorail follow a Sunday schedule. Metrorail is open from 7 a.m. to midnight.
- MARC lines on “R” schedule.
- No VRE service.
- The Bus, in Prince George’s County, is not running.
- Loudoun County Transit is not running.
- ART buses 41, 45, 51, 55 and 87 will run on Sunday schedules. All other lines will not run.
- DC trash pickup scheduled for Monday will happen on Tuesday. In Monday/Thursday collection areas, Monday will slide to Tuesday and Thursday slides to Friday; while in Tuesday/Friday areas Tuesday slides to Wednesday and Friday slides to Saturday.
- Arlington and Fairfax County trash collections are on a regular schedule. In Fairfax City and Alexandria, pickups are put off one day.
- There’s regular trash collection in Montgomery County. Prince George’s County has yard waste collection only. There are no collections in Anne Arundel or Howard counties.
- Post offices are closed.
- Area schools are closed.
- Libraries are closed, except for Loudoun County libraries, which will close at 5 p.m.
- Smithsonian museums are open.
- Most banks are closed. Contact your bank to find out.