Unattended outdoor fireplace caused Centreville fire

centreville fire
An outdoor fireplace caused the fire on Bronze Post Court in Centreville, Virginia. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue) (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue)
The five people who lived in the Centreville, Virginia home jumped from second-story windows to escape. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue)
The five people who lived in the Centreville, Virginia home jumped from second-story windows to escape. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue) (ourtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue)
(1/2)
centreville fire
The five people who lived in the Centreville, Virginia home jumped from second-story windows to escape. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire & Rescue)
A fire that destroyed a Centreville home, forcing a Virginia family of five to jump from second-floor windows early Sunday, was caused by an unattended chiminea outdoor fireplace.

The Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department said the accidental fire caused an estimated $530,425 in damage at the home in the 15100 block of Bronze Post Court.

The smoke alarms went off and the two adults and three children suffered minor injuries after jumping from the home. No firefighters were injured.

One of the people from the two-story, single-family home tried to put out the fire with a garden hose before calling 911 just before 2 a.m.

The fire was knocked down by Fairfax County Fire around 3 a.m., but crews continued to spray water on hot spots for some time after.

The home was completely gutted by the fire.


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2019 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up