Fire department: Cigarette, oxygen tank led to fatal fire in Fairfax Co.

WASHINGTON — The Fairfax County Fire Department said a fatal fire in Lees Corner last month was caused by someone smoking a cigarette in bed while also using oxygen.

The fire happened Friday, March 30, on Cotton Top Court, south of Franklin Farm Road, in the Lees Corner section of Fairfax County, Virginia.

Crews from the Fairfax County, Loudoun County and Washington Metropolitan Airport Authority fire departments responded to the calls of a house fire and quickly put out a fire in a bedroom.

Two people were in the house at the time of the fire and were taken to the hospital. One person was treated and released; the other died from their injuries the next day.

Damages from the fire are estimated to be $18,750.

You can see a map of where the fire happened below.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up