DC sergeant won’t face federal or city charges for killing suspect

Federal prosecutors won’t charge a D.C. police sergeant with shooting and killing a man who was running from officers last summer, citing insufficient evidence.

Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C. said in a news release there is not enough evidence to pursue federal criminal civil rights charges or D.C. charges against Sgt. Reinaldo Otero-Camacho.

The USAO and D.C. police reviewed the July 30 shooting.

“This included a review of law enforcement and civilian eyewitness accounts, physical evidence, recorded body-worn camera footage, recorded radio communications, forensic reports, the autopsy report, and reports from the Metropolitan Police Department,” the release said.

Otero-Camacho responded to a call that Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Brightwood Park area of Northwest for two teens who were shot, prosecutors said in describing the evidence.

Radio dispatch relayed that one of the people involved got away in a white vehicle and when Otero-Camacho spotted it, and tried to pull the driver over, a chase began. Eventually, three people jumped out at Fort Slocum Park. Kevin Hargraves-Shird got out of the driver’s seat, but prosecutors said he came back, apparently looking for something in the vehicle.

Prosecutors noted that a neighborhood resident was hosting a party and had set up an inflatable moon-bounce for several children attending the party that obstructed their view of what was happening.

Moments before firing one shot from his service weapon, Otero-Camacho screamed “gun, gun, gun!” Evidence shows he hit 31-year-old Hargraves-Shird in the right ear. Officers at the scene provided emergency medical assistance, and Hargraves-Shird was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

Police said they found a loaded semi-automatic 9 mm pistol near Hargraves-Shird’s body, but prosecutors did not mention the gun in the release.

Following the shooting, Hargraves-Shird’s sister confronted the mayor during a news conference, saying her brother was not armed at the time.

After reviewing evidence, including body camera footage, they cannot prove Otero-Camacho used excessive force. Otero-Camacho has been on administrative leave since the shooting.

Megan Cloherty

WTOP Investigative Reporter Megan Cloherty primarily covers breaking news, crime and courts.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2023 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up