DC carbon monoxide poisoning hospitalizes, displaces several people and pets

D.C. officials confirmed that two adults and a child were hospitalized after exposure to high carbon monoxide levels in their homes.

D.C. Fire and EMS were initially sent to the 1200 block of Raum Street in Northeast for a alleged gas leak on Sunday afternoon.

When first responders arrived, officers said they found dangerously high levels of natural gas and carbon monoxide in two buildings.

Crews also found some individuals in the homes with non-life-threatening exposure to the carbon monoxide, which can look like symptoms of the flu.

Since carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, residents without proper furnace maintenance during the winter months could be at risk for exposure.



Officials confirmed that six adults, one child and three pets were also displaced as a result of the incident.

Andrew Alsbrooks

Andrew Alsbrooks is an Associate Producer at WTOP. Prior to joining WTOP, Andrew worked for NBC Washington and he currently works at NBC Sports Washington from time to time. Finding the “why” in every story is what drives him to put his best foot forward on any topic that faces him.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up