Refrigerator powered by extension cord caused DC fire

DC Fire and EMS arrived at the blaze on the 5700 block of 3rd Street Northwest. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
D.C. Fire and EMS arrived at the blaze on the 5700 block of 3rd Street Northwest. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
The home to the right of where the fire originated also suffered damages. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS)
The home to the right of where the fire originated also suffered damages. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the blaze was accidental, caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator powered by an extension cord. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the blaze was accidental, caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator powered by an extension cord. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Extension cords powering large appliances will overheat and ignite, said fire officials. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Extension cords powering large appliances will overheat and ignite, said fire officials. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
At least two people are displaced because of the fire. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
At least two people are displaced because of the fire. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the fire was near the rear porches of the two adjacent town houses when they arrived on the scene. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the fire was near the rear porches of the two adjacent town houses when they arrived on the scene. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
From the porch, the fire extended inside the house and into the attic. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
From the porch, the fire extended inside the house and into the attic. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS) (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
(1/9)
DC Fire and EMS arrived at the blaze on the 5700 block of 3rd Street Northwest. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
The home to the right of where the fire originated also suffered damages. (Courtesy D.C. Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the blaze was accidental, caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator powered by an extension cord. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Extension cords powering large appliances will overheat and ignite, said fire officials. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
At least two people are displaced because of the fire. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
Fire officials said the fire was near the rear porches of the two adjacent town houses when they arrived on the scene. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)
From the porch, the fire extended inside the house and into the attic. (Courtesy DC Fire and EMS)

WASHINGTON — A Monday evening house fire in Northwest D.C., which officials say was caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator powered by an extension cord, displaced at least two people.

D.C. Fire and EMS responded to the blaze at two two-story row houses on the 5700 block of 3rd Street Northwest at around 7 p.m.

Fire officials on the scene said the heavy fire was near the back porch of one home and extended inside and into the attic. The row house to the right of where the fire originated was also damaged.

Investigators determined that an electrical fault related to the refrigerator powered by an extension cord caused the fire.

“Extension cords powering large appliances like air conditioners or refrigerators will overheat and ignite,” said DC Fire and EMS in a tweet.

No injuries were reported.

Below is a map of where the fire happened.


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up