Carbon monoxide sends 12 Md. construction workers to hospital

WASHINGTON — A dozen construction workers were taken to a hospital Tuesday morning after they were exposed to carbon monoxide while working in Odenton, Maryland.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department said crews were called to the Navy Federal Credit Union bank on Annapolis Road just after 8 a.m. after the workers began experiencing dizziness, headaches and nausea.

Three workers were taken to the hospital with serious symptoms, but authorities said they were not in life-threatening condition. Nine other workers were taken to the hospital with less serious symptoms.

Officials said the source of the carbon monoxide was a propane-powered saw that the workers had been using for two to three hours Tuesday morning.

Firefighters tested the area and found carbon monoxide in the building at a level of 850 parts per million. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s permissible exposure level for carbon monoxide is 50 parts per million.

Eleven of the sickened workers are men and one is a woman. They range in age from 22 to 55.

Below is a map of where the construction workers were sickened by the carbon monoxide.


Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2018 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up