WASHINGTON - Mike Knuble will skate in his 1000th career game Tuesday when the Capitals host the Nashville Predators at Verizon Center.
The Capitals will honor Knuble prior to the opening faceoff and all Caps players will wear jerseys with the No.22 in warm-ups. The jerseys will later be auctioned off for charity.
"I didn't really know that until I was on Twitter last night," Knuble said of his teammates plan to sport his jersey number. "I'm very happy with that and it will be flattering when you see the guys on the ice."
Knuble has scored at least 20 goals in eight straight seasons, a streak that could come to an end in April. Through 31 games this season, Knuble has three goals and nine points while skating primarily on Washington's fourth line.
While Knuble's offensive numbers may be down, he expects to have an extra jump in his step tonight with plenty of friends and family in attendance.
"It's a fun day, just try to enjoy the day," Knuble says. "There's still a game to play and I guess there will be some talk and fun before the game, but once the puck drops the game is on and you move on."
The Predators enter play Tuesday having won seven of their last 10 and five straight overall. Their last ten games have also all been decided by one goal.
The Capitals are 4-5-0 since Dale Hunter took over as head coach Nov. 28, but continue to struggle offensively. Washington has scored just once in each of its last three games.
Michal Neuvirth is expected to make his third straight start for the Caps, while backup Anders Lindback gets the nod for Nashville.
- Alex Ovechkin - Brooks Laich - Troy Brouwer
- Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Backstrom - Alexander Semin
- Jason Chimera - Brooks Laich - Joel Ward
- Matt Hendricks - Mathieu Perreault - Mike Knuble
- Karl Alzner - John Carlson
- John Erskine - Dennis Wideman
- Dmitri Orlov - Roman Hamrlik
- Martin Erat - David Legwand - Craig Smith
- Sergei Kostitsyn - Mike Fisher - Patric Hornqvist
- Colin Wilson - Nick Spaling - Jordin Tootoo
- Matt Halischuk - Blake Geoffrion - Jerred Smithson
- Ryan Suter - Shea Weber
- Francis Bouillon - Jonathan Blum
- Jake Hillen - Roman Josi
Catch the Capitals and Predators tonight at 7:05. Coverage begins with Caps Pregame at 6:45 on Federal News Radio, 1500 AM and online at wfed.com.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)