WASHINGTON - It's not the big jackpot, but 9 tickets in Virginia in Maryland matched enough numbers to win $250,000 a piece.
Those tickets matched five of the six numbers. The Mega Millions jackpot reached a record-breaking $640 million. Jackpot winning tickets were sold in Maryland, Kansas and Illinois. Each of those tickets is expected to be worth an estimated $213 million before taxes.
The Virginia Lottery says five tickets were sold in the state that are worth $250,000, and the Maryland Lottery says four tickets were sold in the state that are worth $250,000.
The $250,000 tickets were sold at the following locations in Virginia.
- Hanson Sunoco, 201 Jeff Davis Highway, Fredericksburg
- Fas Mart, Route 2, Box 303, North Tazewell
- Henrico Chubby's, 6016 West Broad Street, Richmond
- Eleis Tobacco Company & Grocery, 10625 Stuartsville Road, Vinton
- 7-Eleven, 2292 Upton Drive, Virginia Beach
The Maryland Lottery has not released the locations where the tickets were sold yet.
The D.C. Lottery says four tickets worth $10,000 were sold in the city.
They were wold at the following locations:
- D.C. Oil, 2150 M Street, NW
- Marbi's Newsstand, 1730 Rhode Island Avenue, NW
- News and Necessities, 625 Indiana Avenue, NW
- Mac Market & Deli, 5185 MacArthur Blvd, NW
The winning numbers were 2-4-23-38-46 and the Mega Ball was 23.
An estimated 14.3 million Mega Millions tickets were bought in Virginia on Friday.
Since the game started in 2002, seven Mega Million jackpots have been won in the state.
Lottery officials say Maryland's last Mega Millions winner was a Baltimore County woman who won $24 million in 2008. The year before, Bunky Bartlett of Dundalk split a $330 million jackpot with three other winners in other states.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP & the Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
An 800-pound alligator? That's not bad for a first hunting trip.
Conn. zoo officials don't know how this baby came to be born.
More cursing happens in Maryland than across the Potomac River.
How did a photographer get an inside view of a bear's mouth? (Video)