WASHINGTON - Motorcycle riders are no doubt familiar with the country's best open roads, and one scenic drive in the D.C. region has been ranked among the best in the country.
The 770-mile Appalachian Mountain drive from Front Royal, Va., to Deal's Gap, N.C., comes in second on a Lonely Planet/CNN list of some of the best roads in America for cruising via the big kind of bike.
The trek begins on Skyline Drive in Virginia and is described as a "magic mountain ride" as it hits Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway and the 11-mile Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap.
Check out the entire list below:
- 1. Pacific Coast Highway: 1,700 miles from Astoria, Ore. to San
Juan Capistrano, Calif.
2. Appalachian Mountains: 770 miles from Front Royal, Va. to Deal's Gap, N.C.
3. River Road (FM 170): 120 miles from Terlingua to Candelaria, Big Bend, Texas
4. Going to the Sun Road: 50 miles in Glacier National Park, Mont.
5. Beartooth Highway (US 212): 68 Miles in Yellowstone National Park, Wyo.
6. Highway 12: 124 miles from Bryce Canyon National Park & Capitol Reef National Park, Utah
7. Coastal Highway 1: 170 miles from Kittery to Bucksport, Maine
8. Overseas Highway (Hwy 1): 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West, Fla.
9. Route 66: 2,200 miles from Chicago to Santa Monica, Calif.
10. The Great River Road (Hwy 61): 2,552 miles from Itasca State Park, Minn. to Jackson, La.
For more details on the routes, check out the list here.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Weinstein showcases Kelly and Mandela films at Cannes.
An 800-pound alligator? That's not bad for a first hunting trip.
An NFL player relieves himself of his feelings toward the IRS.
Emma Watson revels in her post-"Potter" freedom at Cannes.