Petco takes blame for death of Va. dog in dryer

WASHINGTON — Petco says mistakes by its employees led to the death of a golden retriever in one of the company’s Central Virginia grooming salons.

Colby likely died of heat stroke after he was placed in a drying kennel at a Petco in Chesterfield County, reports NBC 12.

However its remains unclear what happened that caused the dog’s death.

In a statement, Petco says that the drying kennel Colby was placed in does not use any heat to dry animals’ fur. But Petco stores have stopped using such drying kennels and staff nationwide will go through remedial training to prevent similar harm to other pets.

Staff involved in Colby’s care no longer work for the pet supplier, according to Petco.

“After a thorough investigation, it’s clear our animal care protocols were not followed when it came to Colby,” the statement reads. “We take full responsibility for what happened in Midlothian, and remain heartbroken over Colby’s untimely passing.”

Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Related Categories:

Latest News | Local News | Virginia News


Chesterfield | Petco | pets

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

© 2015 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up