Firefighting efforts at a Fort Washington, Maryland, house Thursday were hampered by clutter in the home, which experts say always poses a risk to residents and to firefighters.
Firefighters in Prince George’s County, Maryland, could not locate a working smoke alarm in the house where an elderly couple lost their lives overnight on Thursday. Hoarding conditions were also discovered at the home in Fort Washington, according to Prince George’s County Fire and EMS Department.
A person was rescued by a civilian boat from the water near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on Saturday morning.
The families displaced when fire ripped through their Prince George’s County apartment building Tuesday morning will get a little holiday help this weekend.
“Fire was coming from the attic, second floor, first floor as well as the basement,” said Mark Brady, a spokesman for Prince George’s County Fire and EMS.
Investigators examining the five-alarm fire in College Park earlier this week are leaning toward it being an accidental fire. Days after the massive blaze drew the county’s largest fire response, firefighters are still putting out hot spots that continue to flare up.
Hot spots continue to flare up on the roof of the uncompleted Fuse 47 building, where “it’s quite possible the first four or five floors will have to be demolished,” a fire official said.
An Upper Marlboro man is charged with arson and attempted murder after police say he was caught on surveillance video setting fire to a town house, which then spread to adjacent homes.
Fire officials urge the public to change smoke detector batteries or invest in a new smoke detector with a 10-year battery, as a Maryland law will require next year.
A small plane that took off from an airport in Fort Washington made a crash landing in some nearby woods Monday morning.
Thanks to a recently discovered newspaper clipping and the power of Facebook, Michael and Linda Hart were reunited Tuesday with the retired Prince George’s County firefighter who helped rescue them as toddlers from their burning house in August 1959.
“As this heat wave goes on, over the next couple of days, the number of calls relating to heat-related illnesses will start to increase as people start to wear down from the amount of heat,” said Mark Brady, spokesman for Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.
The good news is everyone got home safely — but that’s not where the story ended.
Here’s what you need to know about illegal fireworks in the metropolitan area.
A Prince George’s County ambulance crew says they were assaulted by a teenager they were were trying to help early Sunday morning.
Recreating the District in video game form was no small task. Here's how the developers did it.