WASHINGTON — Most airline passengers have gotten the message about traveling with liquids, gels and aerosols. Evidently, the memo about carrying loaded guns needs to go out again.
With nearly two full months remaining in the year, the Transportation Security Administration has already snagged a record number of guns at security checkpoints.
Through Tuesday, the agency had discovered an all-time high 1,855 guns in carry-on bags, according to a statement on its blog.
Of the guns confiscated at checkpoints, 79 percent were loaded.
The TSA discovered 1,813 firearms in 2013. The agency hasn’t been able to pinpoint why there has been an upward trend in guns left in carry-on luggage.
The top five airports for gun discoveries this year:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW), 104
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL), 90
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX), 66
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), 62
- Denver International (DEN), 61