WASHINGTON — Sushi may be a Japanese cuisine, but D.C.-area residents invite the dish into their hearts and their bellies as there is no shortage of sushi restaurants from which to choose.
Whether you like you sushi filled with salmon, stuffed with veggies, deep fried or covered in wasabi — there’s no better day to indulge than Wednesday, International Sushi Day.
The sushi industry is thriving in the D.C. area, says Kimberly Van Santos, the D.C. senior community manager for the review website, Yelp.
“Having lived in this area for over two decades, it is amazing to see what was once considered a very special Japanese delicacy become mainstream,” Van Santos said in an email to WTOP.
“If you search on Yelp, you will find hundreds of listings and reviews on sushi joints of all kinds. From local neighborhood favorites to futuristic conveyor belt service to private chef’s table tastings it is safe to say that sushi has won a special place in the District’s heart.”
To help area residents celebrate International Sushi Day, WTOP has gathered the area’s top-rated sushi spots, based on ratings from Yelp.
Below is the list of Yelp’s top 10 sushi restaurants as of Wednesday morning.
- Makoto Restaurant – 4822 MacArthur Blvd. NW in D.C.
- Yuraku Japanese Restaurant – 19773 Frederick Rd., Germantown, Maryland
- Sushi Capitol – 325 Pennsylvania Ave. SE in D.C.
- Yoyogi Sushi – 328 Main St., Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Sushi Prince – 10256 Main St., Fairfax, Virginia
- Sushi Yoshi – 101 Church St., NW Vienna, Virginia
- Momo Sushi & Caf