OCEAN CITY, Md. – With summer arriving, many crave the sweet and salty snacks they can get at the beach.
Goodies like Thrasher’s French Fries, Fisher’s Popcorn, and Dumser’s Ice Cream, which is 75 years old this year.
The first shop opened on the Ocean City boardwalk in 1939, and Dumser’s now has seven locations around the town.
But even at 75, Dumser’s is still changing.
“Peanut butter chocolate chip is a new flavor on the menu this year. Because it was so popular as a flavor-of-the-day, we decided to add it as a menu flavor,” says Bill Walsh, a general manager at Dumser’s.
He says their milkshakes are really popular, and they’re not thin.
“(When) we make a milkshake, we use maybe 2 ounces of milk. The rest of it’s ice cream.”
Ask Walsh why Dumser’s has stuck around so long and he’ll tell you it’s about quality.
They make the ice cream in a central factory in Ocean City and deliver it to the rest of their locations.
“Dumser’s Ice Cream is made daily, fresh. That’s why it’s special. You just can’t find ice cream made daily that often anymore.”
More from Ocean City:
- Pirate’s Den reopens in new spot as Barn 34
- New restaurants opening in Ocean City
- Seaside Country Store: The most unusual store on the shore
- Ocean City summer calendar packed with events
- Dumser’s scoops up 75 years of happiness
- Smoking bans increase on Rehoboth, Bethany beaches
- Ocean City increases DUI enforcement, pedestrian safety