$250K Germantown apartment fire caused by cigarette butts in plastic bin

A fire in Montgomery County put two adults and a child out of their apartment on Grey Eagle Court in Germantown, Maryland, early Tuesday.

The fire that happened around 3:45 a.m. involved the balconies of two apartments, but only one family was displaced. No one was hurt.



Pete Piringer, spokesman for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service, said in a tweet that a few hours before the fire, cigarette butts were discarded into an plastic bin.

The fire department wasn’t notified right away about the fire because someone tried to tried to fight the blaze before calling 911, something Piringer said is a “no no.”

The damages total about $250,000.

Below is a map of the area.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up