Rockville family displaced following fire linked to candle

A house fire displaced a Rockville, Maryland, family Thursday morning — and it was traced to a candle they lit before going to bed.

Montgomery County first responders were dispatched to a two-story residence at 616 Nelson Street around 4:45 a.m. for a fire that started in the first-floor bedroom.

A smoke alarm sounded and the family escaped unharmed, fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said. The capital region Red Cross provided them with assistance.

The home sustained about $20,000 in damages.

Below is a map of where the fire occurred:

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up