Want to report a damaging pothole in Montgomery County? Here’s how

WASHINGTON —  For those who have experienced an axle-snapping pothole and wanted to get a road crew on the scene, Montgomery County’s Department of Transportation wants residents to know there are three ways to do that.

The county has a website where potholes can be reported, and the @311MC311 Twitter account is another way to alert officials that there’s work to be done.

But Esther Bowring, with the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, said, “I know that the most common way to reach 311 is still by calling.”

Bowring said four teams of crews are on pothole patrol all year, but the pace tends to pick up in the spring.

MCDOT maintains more than 5,200 “lane miles” across Montgomery County, and last year, residents alerted crews to more than 2,400 potholes. She said crews filled hundreds more, explaining that they carry out repairs whenever they spot a pothole, even if it’s when responding to those called in.

It’s important to note the location of the pothole, Bowring said: whether it’s a county road, a municipal road or a state road. Bowring explained that the State Highway Administration maintains the roads with route numbers, such as MD-124/Quince Orchard Road or MD-97/Georgia Avenue.

Report potholes in Montgomery County-maintained roads online here. To contact Maryland State Highway Administration, call 1-800-323-6742 or submit a service request online here.

Kate Ryan

As a member of the award-winning WTOP News, Kate is focused on state and local government. Her focus has always been on how decisions made in a council chamber or state house affect your house. She's also covered breaking news, education and more.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up