WASHINGTON — Montgomery County detectives are looking for the public’s help in identifying a man they think has stolen purses and charged at least $13,000 on victims’ credit cards.
The Montgomery County Police Department released photos on Friday of a man they believe stole purses of female employees from nine area schools in May and June.
Detectives said at least 11 employees who work in various schools or child care centers across Montgomery County reported their purses or wallets stolen from a school classroom or office.
According to detectives, the suspect entered empty classrooms and offices, found unattended personal belongings and stole the purses or the cash and credit cards inside.
When staff approached the suspect at three of the schools, the suspect indicated he was with the cleaning or camp staff and quickly left the area, officials said.
The victims’ stolen credit cards were used to purchase items from stores including Target, Safeway, Best Buy and Giant. Investigators said the suspect has placed at least $13,000 worth of charges on the cards, and stole at least $500 in cash.
Surveillance photos below show a man police suspect used four of the stolen credit cards.
Police ask anyone with information regarding the case to contact Montgomery County detectives at 240-773-6710. People who want to remain anonymous can call the Crime Solvers of Montgomery County at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).
Below is a list of the dates and locations the thefts occurred.
- May 9 between 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: – Twinbrook Elementary School, 5911 Ridgway Avenue, Rockville
- May 19 at about 3 p.m.: Little People Daycare, 12720 Royal Carriage Drive, Germantown
- June 1 between 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Georgetown Hill Early School, 850 Nelson Street, Rockville
- June 8 between 5:45 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.: Rock Creek Forest Elementary School, 8330 Grubb Road, Silver Spring
- June 9 between 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Montgomery Child Care – Garrett Park, 4806 Oxford Street, Garrett Park (Two victims)
- June 14 between 1:40 p.m. and 3 p.m.: Somerset Elementary School, 5811 Warwick Place, Chevy Chase
- June 19 between 10:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.: Bethesda Elementary School, 7600 Arlington Road, Bethesda (Two victims)
- June 21 between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.: Silver Spring International Middle School, 313 Wayne Avenue, Silver Spring
- June 29: Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville