Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said the head of IT for the state's Motor Vehicle Administration is no longer at the agency following a technical error affecting voter registration records ahead of the June 26 primary.
WASHINGTON — Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said the head of IT for the state’s Motor Vehicle Administration is no longer at the agency following a technical error affecting voter registration records ahead of the June 26 primary.
At one point last week, officials said the error — which came to light just days before the primary — may have affected some 80,000 voters who tried to change their addresses or party affiliations online or through an MVA kiosk. Affected voters were informed they would have to cast provisional ballots.
When asked during a WTOP interview Tuesday whether anyone should lose his or her job over the error, Hogan replied: “Somebody already has lost their job over it. The person in charge of all IT for the MVA is no longer working there.”
Ultimately, federal legislation is required to allow the feds to transfer the land to Maryland.
Widening lanes on Interstates 295, 495 and 270 “is something that people have been talking about — getting out of that traffic congestion — for 20, 30 years and we’re finally trying to move forward with a plan that might work,” Hogan said.
Under the plan, a private company would be tasked with designing, building, operating and maintaining the new lanes. Hogan said a request-for-proposals would be likely be issued in the coming months.
“But you don’t just magically make plans for the largest public-private partnership in the world overnight,” he said. “We have to bring in the right experts from all around the world to come up with that plan. But I think we’ll be advertising for those folks to bid for it sometime in the coming months.”
Federal aid flows to Ellicott City
Hogan also reacted to news that President Donald Trump had approved a disaster declaration sought by Hogan allowing federal aid to flow into flood-stricken Ellicott City.
Officials estimated the second devastating flood in fewer than two years caused more than $22 million in infrastructure damage.
Hogan said he was pleased the White House approved the request.
Hogan pointed to the historic legacy of the town and said businesses that have the resiliency and ability to rebuild should be able to.
But Hogan said some businesses in the flood-damaged area of Main Street will have to decide whether they return and open up shop again. “Maybe the county or someone should buy those properties and turn them into flood mitigation and not let them rebuild,” Hogan said.
“It’s a wonderful, beautiful town — the entire town’s on the historic register — so you don’t want to lose that history … but we don’t want to put people in that kind of position again.”
WTOP’s Kate Ryan contributed to this report.
Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.