Basement fire in Centreville caused by malfunctioning furnace

Smoke accumulates outside a house in Fairfax County after a fire started in the basement. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire and Rescue)
Firefighters from Loudoun County and Fairfax County quickly suppressed the fire. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire and Rescue)
Three residents were OK after smelling smoke, but a cat was found dead. (Courtesy Fairfax County Fire and Rescue)

Three Fairfax County residents were forced from their Virginia home by a basement fire caused by a problem with a gas furnace on Tuesday night.

Fairfax County and Loudoun County Fire and Rescue responded to a house on Eagle Tavern Way in Centreville, Virginia, around 8:30 p.m. after one of the occupants smelled something burning.

Crews extinguished the accidental fire quickly, according to a Fairfax County news release.

No residents or firefighters were hurt in the blaze, but a cat was found dead.

The single-family house sustained about $90,000 in damage.

This map shows the approximate location:

Dan Friedell

Dan Friedell is a digital writer for WTOP. He came to the D.C. area in 2007 to work as digital editor for, and since then has worked for a number of local and national news organizations.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2023 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up