5 taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Northeast DC apartment building

Five people are in the hospital Saturday with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Northeast D.C.

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesperson Vito Maggiolo said responders were called to an apartment unit near the intersection of 17th and K Streets for a medical emergency around 10:15 a.m.

When they arrived, they found the occupants disoriented.

Maggiolo said detectors on the responder’s uniforms indicated high levels of carbon monoxide.

Responders immediately removed those inside from the unit and evacuated the rest of the building.

Two people were taken to the hospital in serious condition and three for observation. One child was among those taken to the hospital.

Maggiolo said the carbon monoxide came from a defective furnace in the building.

He said the apartment did not have carbon monoxide detectors and urged all D.C. residents to get functioning detectors.

Lauren Hamilton

Lauren Hamilton is an Associate Producer at WTOP and a graduate of the University of Maryland. She enjoys covering the intersection of arts, culture and social justice in local communities. She began as an intern with WTOP in the summer of 2021.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up