1 hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in DC

A person in D.C. has been hospitalized Tuesday with carbon monoxide poisoning after an incident involving a power washer.

DC Fire and EMS said someone was using a gasoline-run power washer in an unventilated basement.

Carbon monoxide built up in the basement, seriously injuring the person, officials said.

The incident occurred in a building with other businesses inside on New Hampshire Avenue Northwest. The building was evacuated, but nobody else was injured.

The carbon monoxide level in the building is now back to normal.

Thomas Robertson

Thomas Robertson is an Associate Producer and Web Writer/Editor at WTOP. After graduating in 2019 from James Madison University, Thomas moved away from Virginia for the first time in his life to cover the local government beat for a small daily newspaper in Zanesville, Ohio.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up